The Mehendi or Henna ceremony occurs 2 days before the Shaadi or Wedding. This is performed on all the women in the wedding if they want it. The bride has the most and is the most intracate. Then follows the sisters of the groom, the mother of the groom, relatives of the bride, and then other friends and family. Henna is an organic mixture (of something - don't ask me) and acts like a temporary tatoo on your skin lasting about 10 days. It gets darker for the first 2 days and then fades with water usage. The darker it is, the more your husband loves you. It takes 3 or more hours to have it applied. The bride gets it done from hands to elbows and feet to midcalf or knee. You must sit without moving or bending for several more hours. This is where the men come into play. They must serve the women this day. Since most of them are helpless, it is kinda funny. Suketu had to feed me and was basically shoveling food into my mouth faster than I can chew. When I asked for more food later, I was give a pathetic excuse. But then his mama yelled at him and I was fed again - thanks Mama Shah! There is also a game to be played. The artist will hide the groom's name within the design and if he cannot find his name he must present his bride with a gift. Suketu of course did not find his name, but I am still waiting for my gift...
Check back soon for pictures!
No comments:
Post a Comment